20:58 | Posted by Admin
In one of my previous post, I shared some information about a new viral script virus and the steps to remove the virus manually. One of the behavior of these script viruses is that you will find hidden shortcuts instead of real folders when you plug your USB or SD Card. Sometimes you cannot open those files. Even if you remove the virus from your PC the folders will remain as shortcuts itself. So we will see How to fix this :-)
If you want to read the steps to remove the virus manually see my previous post : New Potential Script Virus Found : Steps to Remove the Virus Manually
- Connect the infected USB or SD card to the PC.
- Open Notepad and Copy the following code and paste it into the opened text file.
@echo offattrib -h -s -r -a /s /d drive_letter:\*.*
- Replace the drive_letter in the above code with the drive letter of your infected USB or SD Card (For eg : K, J ,M etc..)
- Save the text file as shortcutfix.bat ( You can use any file name, but the extension .bat is really important)
- Now open the shortcutfix.bat file we created and it will run the command prompt.
- Open your USB/SD Card and you will find all your real folders along will the shortcuts. Now remove the shortcuts and you are done :-)
We have made a video tutorial to illustrate this trick. Watch this :-)
- Open the command prompt ( Start - Accessories - Command prompt)
- Type attrib -h -s -r -a /s /d drive_letter:\*.*
- Replace drive_letter in the above command with the drive letter of your infected USB or SD Card
- Now Hit Enter and you will find real folders in your USB/ SD Card. Remove the shortcuts and you are done!!
Important : To my knowledge, this tip is compatible only with windows OS. Also you need administrator privilege to run the command or execute the .bat file.